Drew Hamilton Butler is a shareholder at Richardson Plowden. He joined the firm in 2002 at the Columbia office. As a trial lawyer, he focuses his practice on general litigation, including but not limited to corporate defense litigation, insurance defense litigation, construction litigation, products liability defense, premises liability defense, and personal injury litigation.
Mr. Butler's experience includes:
- Successfully tried cases in the United States District Court and Circuit Courts of South Carolina
- Initiated, defended and resolved a variety of premises liability, professional liability, and general insurance defense claims through trial verdicts, mediation and pre-trial motions.
- Successfully defended general contractors and subcontractors in large exposure construction-defect claims
- Provides insurance coverage opinions for insurance carriers responding to a claim in South Carolina
- Defends various government entities in claims brought under the South Carolina Tort Claims Act or 42 U.S.C. §1983
Prior to joining Richardson Plowden, Mr. Butler served as a speech writer for the Pennsylvania legislature and worked as a Judicial Law Clerk for Pennsylvania Civil Service Commission Administrative Law Court.
Scholarly Lectures and Speaking Engagements
- SC Bar CLE: Defending Restaurants and Bartenders from Dram Shop Liability (Winter, 2016)
- South Carolina Law Enforcement Defense Conference: Defending Prisoner Litigation Claims (Fall, 2016)
- The Hartford Insurance Company: Construction Litigation Defense in South Carolina (Fall, 2014)
- South Carolina Department of Mental Health: Risk Management and Loss Prevention Tactics (Summer, 2013)
- Lorman Education Services, Lecture: Understanding the Current CGL Policy; The Role of Performance Bonds & Additional Insured Issues (Summer, 2012)
- Lorman Education Services, Lecture: AIA Contracts - A General Overview/Dispute Resolution & Aribtration (Fall, 2011)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association, Annual Meeting Speaker: Punitive Damages and Post-Trial Motions (Winter, 2010)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association, Trial Academy Presentation: Jury Charges, Verdict Forms & Special Interrogatories (Spring, 2010)
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys' Association, Joint Meeting Presentation: Expert Witness Cross-Examination Do's and Don'ts (Summer, 2007)
Pro Bono/Community Involvement
- Pro bono special prosecutor for criminal domestic violence prosecution, South Carolina Attorney General's Office. Mr. Butler has served in this role for more than eight years and has helped instruct classes for young lawyers interested in joining the program.
- Supporter/Fundraiser, South Carolina Heart Association
- Coach, youth tee-ball and soccer leagues through the YMCA
- Prosecutor for the AG's office for 9+ years.
- South Carolina Dram Shop Litigation: A Practical Guide: South Carolina Bar – CLE Division, Nov, 2016
- Understanding the Application of Performance Bonds in Construction Defect Litigation, The Defense Line, Volume 43 (Spring 2015)
- Attorney General's Office Provides Trial Experience While Supporting A Valuable Community Program, The Defense Line, Volume 34 (Fall 2006)